Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9, 2013

 Well, two trains and three planes later, I'm back in Dachney! Yeah! Let's just say I'm soooo glad that I only have two of those visa trip things. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE traveling. Train stations and airports with a steady scramble of every kind of person imaginable--classy businessmen, wandering hippies, families with whining children and old couples... flights with their plane food and quiet politeness.. souvenirs..tickets... even the lines excite me. But, it wasn't Dachney and I didn't feel like I was a missionary. We couldn't even wear our tags in the Samara airport. :( boooooo If there's one thing I've learned about mission life, it's that missionaries aren't happy when their not fulfilling their calling. Thus, all the things I would have normally enjoyed seemed like an empty, pointless, worldly distraction. We did get to do some missionary work though :) Sister Lund and I met a Jewish Rabbi from New York. He was super chill. Reminded me of a "bro" more than a rabbi. He was flying to Samara to visit his sister and teach at a synagogue there. He couldn't get over the fact that us sisters would come to Russia, that we liked it and that we weren't scared. He also didn't get why we didn't go out and "have a drink with our buddies." I don't know a lot about Jewish people but I was pretty sure they weren't big drinkers....
The work here is carrying on, picking up where we left off. We have more potentials now! All in one miracle, rainy night we met 4 new women interested in meeting with us. We also now have investigators! yay! Tamara, the mother of Dima, the elders quorum president, came to church yesterday! and we're meeting with her next week. She knows the Book of Mormon is true and has had a baptismal date in the past. Then we met Valentina last night while doing potential drop-bys from the area book (we drop by the addresses of people that other missionaries have contacted). We called her apartment at the door and instead of getting a "no" or a "they don't live here anymore" like we got all that night we heard a males voice saying "oh! come on in!" She lives with a man named Boris. We're not sure if their married but he's 75 and she's 65. They were so welcoming it felt like we were their old friends stopping by for brunch. She's not interested in changing but she let us testify and the Spirit was so strong. There is something special about her. She is old...and not technically interested so it doesn't make sense to go back, but both of us just feel like there is something more about this new great friend we've found in Valentina.
As for the language, dad, I was actually going to mention that... it's been rough. Like, I mean, it's great. I love Russian and I get by just fine but it's a tad bit discouraging when a member asks if it's your first week in Russia. Yeah, someone actually asked me that. He was kinda joking but it hurt. Maybe I've just been sensitive about it because Sister Kiestler is nearing the end of her mission and she's a very good speaker so the contrast just reminds me how much I don't know. All language really boils down to is grammar and vocab. I need to know more vocab and more correct grammar. Then I'll have Russian. It's just a matter of time and studying throughout the day. In my setting apart blessing, President Brown said that I would have a different understanding of the gift of tongues. What I have come to understand is that it is a gift of the Spirit and therefore it works much in a same way that the Spirit does. You have to give Him something to draw on, you have to study, and understanding comes slowly, piece by piece. But then there have definitely been those times where I have felt Russian become easier in times when I need it, like in a lesson or when I'm testifying. With Valentina last night I felt it, the Spirit working through my language skills. It felt so nice!
In short though, dad, you can tell people that I love Russian and it is coming slow and steady. I can say just about anything I want to say in a very round about way with the words that I know in grammar that is not always understandable.
Whew! This is kinda a long letter but I think that's everything!
Love ya!
 
RT: Russia's church is the Pravaslavney church which literally means "correct worship, or correct glory." If you meet a Russian, they are most likely to be pravaslavney and many are considered traitors if they leave it. I will definitely at some point expound on this.
 
Send grandma and grandpa my love! I've been thinking about them a lot lately and I'll be praying for them!
Hey this is our letter from President this week... thought I'd just let you know how many miracles we are seeing in our mission. :)
Dear Sisters and Elders,

It is very important that I share some thoughts and warnings with each of you. Some incredible things are happening in the mission, and you need to know about some of them. Likewise, Satan is responding in a predictable way, and you also need to know about and defend against that.

Over the past two weeks, truly astounding blessings have begun to occur. Letter after letter has spoken of hearts being changed, sacrifices made, and miracles that have occurred. Some of those miracles have been small, and some of them have been anything but small. There are too many to list, but let me share just a few (with names left out to protect the sacredness and confidentiality some may desire).

First, you should know that our members with baptismal dates have doubled in one week--from 8 two weeks ago to 16 last week! I appreciate those who are being more bold regarding invitations to follow Christ by being baptized. One missionary told me that in one lesson he was not able to even get to the challenge, because the investigator expressed a need to be baptized first! Another companionship indicated that a former investigator called and expressed over the phone a decision to be baptized.

In reading your letters from last Monday, many miracles were discussed. For example, one companionship indicated that on preparation day, the phone rang and it was a woman who had talked to sister missionaries years earlier and she was now ready to be taught! Another companionship came out of a building late at night and instead of going home, decided to keep contacting and approached a lady who was standing on the street. She explained that she was at a very difficult point in her life, and had prayed to God that morning to send someone to help her. She believed the missionaries had been sent to answer her prayer. Several of you indicated that people have come up to you on the street and asked about your message.

We have also heard many stories this week of talking to everyone and asking for referrals. One such question led to three other interested people. I loved the story of two missionaries who decided after 9:00 to keep contacting and met a golden young man. They taught him the first discussion in 10 minutes, had a prayer with him on the street, made a return appointment, and then ran home almost a mile (in record time) in order to arrive at 9:30. These are just a few of many, many miracles that were talked about in your letters and phone calls. Please continue to call or write with the miracles that are occurring. I would love to share some of them with the rest of the mission.

If there is a common thread in the miracles that are occurring, it is that the missionaries involved were trying to make a sacrifice. The blessings often came while contacting later than they needed to, or while talking to someone on a bus, or after appointments had fallen through, but the missionaries decided to keep working anyway. It is so gratifying to hear of the many sacrifices you are making and the hard work that is being performed.

It also struck me how many of you said contacting had become enjoyable. The Lord will bless you with joy and success as you work hard and have faith in Him.

Now for the warnings! It is so obvious that because of our increase in faith and work, Satan is also working harder. Even though this mission rarely has "incident reports" filed because of attacks or threats to missionaries, we have had five in the past two weeks. There is little question what Satan is trying to do. He tried to tempt the Savior before His ministry. He tried to scare Joseph Smith or destroy him in the sacred grove as his mission began. He tried to destroy the early members of the Church or drive them away in fear through mob violence, members being tarred and feathered, etc.

They did not retreat or cower in fear, and we will not do so either. We will redouble our efforts and work even harder to be worthy of the Lord's blessings. Move forward replacing fear with faith. We promise that great blessings will come as we do so.

I loved what one missionary said at the end of the weekly letter: "I know that God was with us and that this is the future. Russia will be the next Brazil and it's gonna be soon! As soon as we are ready to sacrifice enough to get that blessing. This mission is a mission of miracles."

This is a mission of miracles. The Lord is blessing us so much. You are all doing so well. We are proud of you and your efforts to give consecrated service to the Lord. Work hard and be faithful. Smile at the people you meet so that they will know you have a message of great joy and happiness. May the Lord bless you all.

We love you,
President and Sister Schwab

No comments:

Post a Comment