Friday, August 23, 2013

August 19th, 2013

I just rode for a half hour on a bus sitting next 3 alcoholic teenagers, and one of them looked as though he could not have been older than 13 years old. One of them was talking to me, the stench of beer reeking thick as steam in a sauna, and he asked if I drank. I said no. Then he looked at me with the most sorry eyes, pointed to the tall can in his hand and explained how he inherited it from his parents. I asked him if he wanted to stop, if he wanted to quit and he replied, We just live, this is our life.
Sadly, the world of men has more woes than we know of.
Satan has a host of crutches to give to man, we just all pick our own. But like you said, we can't worry to much about it, and we shouldn't because that would be mocking the Atonement. Though we may at times be trapped, each held up in our own prison cell, the Savior has given to us the key that will set us free. We are just not always willing to leave, go beyond the bars that we for so long have held us trapped. Maybe because we don't feel like we deserve freedom, and know that there is no way to repay the debtor. Or perhaps because we recognize that life beyond our imprisonment involves more exposure, risk, and effort. Or maybe our emaciated souls simply lack the strength to lift our heads, start anew and press forward. This is why not only has the Savior given us a key which he expects us to use, but He is ready and willing to lend a steady hand and shower us with healing words of love and encouragement once we but call on His name.  That's the beauty of it. And like in the passover, The sweet Bread of Life cancels out the stinging taste of the bitter herbs.


I'm being transferred again!! And this time I'm leaving Samara and heading to Saratov!! The place I've always heard about but haven't been yet. Saratov is everyone's favorite so it should be a great new adventure but it's still sad to leave the home I've made here! I feel like know Samara now just about as well as Walla Walla. And now I'm heading into the unknown with my new comp, Sister Kiestler! who also has not served in the area we are going to. Yep, we're white washing. But the sisters who were serving there are staying with us today so I'm jotting down all the details. :) I'm go so ready to go down there and work. Work, work, work. I hope Sister Keistler knows CPR because I may need some resussitation at some point ;) Dochney doesn't know what's comin. I hear it's a really hilly area, that the members are amazing and that Saratov is the 'real Russia.' So we'll see! :)
It's been a great three months here in Avrora and I'm going to miss it here and all the friends I've made, especially Sister Moffatt, who I've gotten really close to. This is where I really became a missionary. I have grown so much.
Saying good-bye's has been hard but we had some good times this week with my favortie family--the Kotlarovs! and Berto who came over to their house and had a jam session with little Arkoti after we gave him and his friend the Restoration. :) Good times!
Also, the Kotlarovs are planning a trip to go to the temple next summer!!!!!!!! I cried. I love them so so much and I can't wait for them. They are the best. Sasha (the dad) even came to church the other day and I just hope that the Lord will provide a way for him to get there every week. They are also turning into quite the missionaries! Galina gave out a Book of Mormon this week and invited a friend to church.
That's all I really have time to say this week. Love ya! have a great week!  
RT: They have ton of holidays! I can't keep track! I usually don't know until I hear fireworks going off.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment