Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26th 2013

    Hey!
So did I mention last week that we're white-washing in our new area? Apart from the meager information I squeezed out of the sisters before us during transfers, we had zero knowledge of the area, zero experience with the members, zero investigators, and, a couple potentials (thankfully). So cool, collected, and amazing Sister Keistler and I have started this place up from scratch. And honestly, it's been one of the best weeks. I can't explain it. It's so fulfilling. White-washing has given us the opportunity to put everything we've learned into practice, to do everything in our power to do things right and oh, how we have been blessed! There has been a fire in my heart from the moment I heard my transfer call and it hasn't died. I can't explain the burning desire that sits in my chest or where it came from or why it's there but I'm sure it's something from God and that there's something that I need to do here with Sister Keistler. She is a woman of great faith and great abilities. We are very unified with our vision of this area, what we want to accomplish and how. With the Lord's help, I can't see anything stopping us. I feel His approval and acceptance of our work and His Spirit guiding us. Judging by this past week, I am very excited to see what's in store for us these next couple of months!!
 
Our area is called Dachney, the adjective form of dacha, which is the russian word for their summer homes. The dachas are out in the country, and after Samara, this definitely feels like the country. We live on a giant hill--A HILLL!!! the first non-flat piece of land I've seen here! I wanted to weep with joy. I mean, hauling the groceries back home is going to be a work out but I don't get much of that anyway so... it's probably a good thing. Also, behind our apartment building on the hill and beyond is a giant forest! Annnddd where we play sport every saturday you can look out and see another hill with nothingness. This may seem strange to be so excited about but it's been 6 months since I've been in a place where I'm not surrounded by the city. Oh! and I went on a train for the first time! It was sooo old school. :) and I could see the country side as we went along. It's exactly like eastern washington. Where we play sport we might as well be in Tri-Cities, except more humid. So nothing too exciting there.
Anyway, to the actually exciting things, the members in our branch are fantastic. The were very welcoming yesterday at church (which is a REAL, ACTUAL church building built by the church!!!). We even received a member referral from one member and a request to visit a less active by another member. And for the first time, I actually had a meeting with the branch mission leader and he invited us to his home. We have support from the branch...it's weird but I love it! I know 100% that if the church is to grow in Russia, which it will, it will be because of the members. I know I've said that before but I just wanted to say it again because it's true and I'm excited to apply that principle here.
I hope that you are all thinking about how the missionaries in your ward can help you do missionary work.
 
I love you and so do the russian people!! I show them my pictures of you and they love it. And they can never believe that mom is my mom because she looks too young.
 
Hugs!
Sister Johnson

Russian Tidbit: Sometimes they pray with their eyes open, just looking around... sometimes up to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment