Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25, 2013

Hello everyone on planet earth. They launched us out of the MTC early Monday morning and a couple days later we landed on the celestial orb we call Russia. Even as we left the MTC it was as if everything I had grew up with was foreign—cars, houses, bikes, streets, stop signs… people who don’t wear name tags to identify themselves. The flight was long, we got to all our gates fairly easily and on time. We were a fairly large swarm of missionaries, and talked to people we met along the way. We flew out from SLC, to NY, then from NY to Moscow. I sat next to missionaries each time so I didn’t get to meet any one very interesting but by the end of the flight I’m pretty sure that everyone on that plane knew exactly who we were and what we were doing. At each of the cabin corners you could see a missionary chatting with some curious passenger. Some were genuinely interested and even agreed to read the Book of Mormon, but others bluntly told us to turn around and go home, that they didn’t want us in their country. But we didn’t, not like we really could, and landed in Moscow. As we exited the airplane and onto Russian soil there was a tangible silence. Our footsteps seemed to echo as we dragged our suitcases across the white marble walkway. It was a large, open airport with many windows and a high lightly wooded dome covered the lines for customs. A couple hundred people, Russians and foreigners, friends and families, stood in silence, slowly shuffling ahead as the person in front of them went through. We, as 18-21 year olds (and by this time, good friends) just looked at each other, trying not to laugh or talk and when we did we got some cold hard stares. As we proceeded through the airport the general hushed atmosphere continued. It felt as if I was in some sci-fi movie, just completely unreal. Even now it doesn’t feel real. I expect at any moment for someone to say “Cut! That’s a wrap!” and I can leave set back to the “real world.” But this is real. It’s the realness I’ve been preparing for for three months, longer even. Frankly, that’s too long and I’m glad they’ve shortened it because nothing could have prepared me for this. If anything the MTC just taught me how to be obedient and how to teach, which is a very large part of missionary work, don’t get me wrong, but there’s so much more. The best thing to do to prepare for a mission is to build your faith. Never has mine been so tested than in these past 5 days. I don’t know what I’m doing here. I know I’m supposed to be here but I don’t know why. Hopefully I’ll figure it out soon.
            Anyway, we flew from Moscow to Samara. The Samara airport is probably smaller than the Walla Walla airport. We met President Sartori and Sister Sartori there and they helped us scramble through the crowd of travelers to get our bags. They are very kind, genuine people and they already feel like my mission parents. It was about 10pm when we all traveled to the mission home and Sister Lund and I stayed the night in the apartment there. The next morning Sister Sartori made us the most delicious breakfast (French toast casserole thingy) with Russian juice and yogurt which is super tasty. We had orientation with the assistants to the president then met our new companions over lunch. My trainer is Sister Clyde. She’s from New Jersey, went to BYU studying creative advertising and is very sweet and obedient. I feel bad because I’ve been holding her back a bit. Adjusting to this new world has taken time and I’m not necessarily very good at or willing to talk to every one on the street like she does. Pray for me!  We have been assigned to the Byezmenski area of Samara and our apartment is in the middle of the city. We walk everywhere so the majority of what I have seen is on one of the main streets in our area: Pavyeti. Contacting, knocking and teaching is fun, although like I said, I’m not particularly good at it since I'm quiet. The most common response to us is a confused look and if we get the point of telling them who we are they say “nee nada” which means “don’t need.” I can’t help but laugh at the irony of that statement whenever I hear it. We also find a few people who are very kind and want to know more. The members here are great, as everyone says. They are visionaries. They are strong, and always willing to help out the missionaries in any way they can. We never have trouble finding some one to come on lessons with us. We have had two lessons with investigators so far. One with Dasha who’s father is a member but she lives with her mom. She wants to get baptized and just told her mom when we talked to here on Wednesday but her mom is against it. We also had a good lesson with Sasha last night. He’s a 27 year old successful bachelor who is very Russian Orthodox but knows the Book of Mormon is true as far as he’s read it. The only hang up is that he thinks he has to read the whole Book of Mormon to know it is true. Which I suppose is a valid thought but he’s thinking too much with his brain and not enough with his heart. He’s a really cool guy and I think I’ve related to him better than anyone else out here. Except Elder Jenkins, of course, who is in my district!!  His area is in my same branch so I see him often. That has been SUCH a blessing. He’s brought me so much comfort by just being there and he can understand what I’m going through because he’s in the same boat.
            Speaking of boats… It’s getting warm(ish) and the snow and ice is melting. It’s hard to tell where the packed ice ends and the sidewalks begin. The only ways to really tell are the ravines of melting ice that create rivers, puddles and lakes of brown runoff. One reason why it’s hard to talk to people is because if I look up then the chances of me slipping or falling into these shallow ravines is exponentially increased. Today it’s snowing but there are buds on the trees so hopefully spring isn’t too far off. Then maybe this grey, dirty city can be green and beautiful again.

Thank you for your letters I really miss you guys and the support and love you give me. Wish I could write more about Russia but that’ll come later I suppose. Have a great week! J
CECTPA Johnson

Also, we feed ourselves mostly so no worries on the food front.

No comments:

Post a Comment