Saturday, March 2, 2013

February 27th 2013

Thanks mom! I should be getting it all soon then. :) and I took my coat to alterations and they said they could fix it!
I love your little story about Esmerelda. It makes me so happy that you and dad get to be involved with the missionary work going on in Walla Walla. :)
A few exciting things occurred this week. Last wednesday Sister Lund received her acceptance letter to BYU School of Music! which is like her life dream... it's very competitive and she worked really hard to get in. She practiced her clarinet for hours every day for two years while going to school and working a part time job. I'm so proud of her and I know she's supposed to be my companion because she's teaching me a lot about what it means to have a dream, work for it, and achieve.
Also exciting, Elder M. Russell Ballard spoke to us at devotional last night. :) Apostle #2 seen here at the MTC. and Sister Lund and I sang in the choir singing "Consider the Lilies" (I know that's one of your favorites mom) and apparently the camera zoomed in on us. So now everyone in the MTC has seen our face. Cool... not. Ummm other than that it's been a pretty normal week. I can't wait until I get to Russia and I'll actually have something interesting to say. But for now here are some things about everyday life here:
-The food: the thing I heard most about the MTC before I got here, actually isn't bad. At least that is if you're like me and 80% of your diet is fruits, veggies, and dessert. They have lots of fresh fruits and veggies at every meal. I think I ate pineapple 3 times a day everyday for like the first 5 weeks.
-I have gotten abnormally good at 4-square.
-The first day they give you a swipe card with your name and picture on it and you need it to get into buildings which (combined with the name tag) makes me feel super official. But in order to not loose that card I wear it on a clip at my waist which then makes me feel super dorky.
-We sing "Called to Serve" at least three times a week. Whenever I sing it I can't stop beaming... because I'm a missionary!!
-At devotionals or firesides whenever a song is announced by the person that is conducting there is an audible reaction from the congregation. Sometimes it's a 'yes!' (like when they announced "Come thou Fount") and sometimes it's a 'ahhhh' (when they announce "Called to Serve") or  it's an 'oh' or sometimes people just talk. It happens like every time and it always weirds me out.
-One morning I was sitting on the laundry room floor, an Elder walked by and said to his companion, "Maybe someone was praying for socks and you just got the bad end of the deal."
Sorry this was another super short letter. Either I'm running out of things to say as the weeks go on or I just get slower at typing. Another quick thing though. At TRC last week we got to teach a member from Saratov which is in my mission! It went really well-- we understood each other great and the Spirit was strong!  and it was a native! So that was cool and it was fun to talk to him a bit about where we're going. Also, have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE Russian!?! It truly is a beautiful language and I could study it all day. Actually, sometimes we do study it all day and those are the best. I'm starting to read a lot from the Book of Mormon and the Liahona Sister Dyer gave me and am starting to make connections and understand why things are the way they are. I also get new insights that are different than the English version. Like the hymn "I Stand All Amazed" instead of the chorus saying "oh it is wonderful" it says "о это чудо!" which means "oh what a miracle!"  :) It just tickles me to notice those things.
Well talk to you next week!
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment