Sunday, August 24, 2014

Choir of angels

There she was, waiting for us as we walked in through the resting home doors. A big smile sprung up onto her fragile face. She greeted us kindly and we chatted for a bit as she cheekily joked about living in a prison. I pointed to my head and said with a wink, the real prison is in here. She chuckled and admitted that it really was a nice facility, and it is! There is such an endearing feeling of community there and a spirit so sweet that it draws me back. A group of my fellow students had started a weekly visit to sing hymns to and converse with the residents. This time, though, we were few in numbers. My roommate and I, the two of us, went room to room gathering those interested in coming to the foyer to listen. Then we stood in front of the sleeping crowd and began. We sang as loud as we could so that our lonely voices could reach through the air to those failing, aged ears. Having brought my russian hymnbook, I belted out a couple of my favorites. They liked that. But then, just as my poor parched throat started to completely croak I saw a beautiful little family walk in and they started to watch us. At the end of the song I jokingly invited them to join us. One of them offered to play the piano and we continued to sing. As we sang I heard a voice blend in with ours, then another one in harmony, and another, and another! We raised up in a chorus so exquisite my heart swelled as the pianist tossed his hands across the piano in an impromptu accompaniment so grand tears started to well up in my eyes. I felt God with us.
As I experienced this miracle unfold I couldn't help but remember a quote by BYU-Idaho president Kim B. Clark that had saved me on my mission. It reads, "When we act in faith in Jesus to do His work, He goes with us to serve others and blesses us to say just what they need to hear... What we actually say and actually do may feel a little awkward or not very polished... But the Savior takes our words and our actions... He takes our sincere but imperfect effort and turns them into something that is just right, indeed, into something that is perfect."
I know that when we extend our efforts, however tiny, simple or awkwardly placed they may seem, God will magnify them. He can make breathtaking, fantastic miracles in our lives. And He will if you believe it! I know that is true because today I sang with angels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment