Thursday, August 14, 2014

Why blog?

Blogging, it's what we do if we can't fit all our thoughts or doings into a Facebook post or Tweet (not that I've ever tweeted...). It's an essay, an expression, a piece of us cast into the melting pot of humanity.
Just ask yourself, why did all the greats in history have journals? Galileo, Da Vinci, Einstein... Because they understood the power of thoughts. A single thought in the mind of a pioneer can change everything, for everyone throughout the indefinite future of mankind. But a thought is useless if it is not recorded, communicated, and disseminated. It can come as a revelation one moment and then the next pass as if it never were there.  And although I may not be a revolutionary artist, inventor, or scientist, that is why I blog, to somehow pin down the genius that is in us all. To capture the fleeting, beautiful moments of my life, a life I do not claim for myself. 

I'm renaming this blog to "My Vermeer," a name actually I came up with a long time ago in honor of Johannes Vermeer, an artist who took upon himself to paint the ordinary. He elevated perfectly normal occurrences into something worth admiring.
These posts are the pictures I paint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment