Monday, October 8, 2012

Making the Decision

Fast forward a couple years from my last post and you get a Kim that's a little less concerned with the whole mission thing. Life had taken a few twists and turns, directing me towards opportunities that seemed, at the time, more appealing... Teach English in China or Mexico, live with my roommate in New York, volunteer for the forest service, work for Disney or maybe I could visit Germany again and stay with the beautiful Josie Rodriguez...(can you tell I'm a dreamer?)
Like any confused college student would do, I called my mama. She said, what happened to serving a mission?
Oh yeah. But how can I be sure that it's the right thing to do?
If it's right, you'll be sure.
Are you sure mom? I don't think the Lord always works that way. I'm not sure if I'll be sure. 
You'll be sure. 
Okkaayyy.
I still wasn't convinced until the middle of my spring semester. At that point I felt like I had hit a wall. Nothing was really working out the way I'd hoped. So I said another one of those prayers. One of those that I’ll never forget. Still on my knees, I pulled my scriptures towards me, opened them and read section 30 in Doctrine and Covenants. Heavenly Father could not have been more direct, not even if He came into my bedroom and told me to my face. I was sure. You know that feeling you get deep down in your gut that you just can't deny, no matter the circumstance? I had felt this feeling before, it’s how I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. These deep-rooted assurances help me when times get rough. I'm so grateful that I was able to know for myself, especially when every single day I have to re-decide, recommit myself to serving a mission. Satan is a nasty one and if you make any righteous decision, He will come after you. 

1 comment:

  1. You know... maybe when we are both back from our missions we can still take a Europe tour together! Dreams don't have to stay that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete