Sunday, October 7, 2012

My God is a God of Miracles

I had just finished making a gyro at the farmers market when I felt a buzz in my pocket. It was my mom. I flipped it open and read what I thought was surely a prank. But it's October... not April... Still couldn't believe it so my mother had my sister Chantal bear second witness. Yes, the mission age really has changed! After the shock wore off, I became a little bitter. I had waited for my turn and now all these teenagers were going to be able to cut in line! So not fair. But then I remembered where I was exactly two years ago.
Two years ago, when I was nineteen, my family went down to Salt Lake City to see General Conference in the Conference Center. My boyfriend had just left on a mission a few months prior and instead of missing him, all I wanted was to be able to go too! Every single ounce of me desired to serve in the field. I've made a habit of praying every morning and night but there are only a handful of prayers that I will never forget, and this is one of them. I cried to the Lord asking, "Why, why can't I go? Why do I have to wait until I'm 21? Lord, help me to understand." As I watched General Conference, my answer came loud and clear. I was to be at home. That was my mission. Looking back I can see how true this turned out to be. I could never, ever imagine my life without the people that I have been so blessed to meet during these past two years.
I know that God's timing is perfect. Now is the time for me to go on a mission. Now is also the time for 19 year old young women to go on missions (and 18 y.o. young men). The Lord answered my prayer, not only once, but twice! My God is a God of miracles. 

1 comment: