Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Call

In my lifetime I've observed that I tend to react to things a bit differently than everyone else. Most missionary-to-be's are instantly restless when they turn in their papers, checking the mail box constantly and mulling over where in the world they might be called to. If it was legal to set up a tent and camp out at the post office, I'm sure some people I know wouldn't have hesitated a single second. And there's nothing wrong with it, I love their enthusiasm. Thing is that's just not me, and when last Thursday came around, the mail was definately not on my mind. The stake president said it would take two to three weeks so I wouldn't worry till then. I was making croissants. We were just about to eat dinner when dad noticed the mailbox overflowing. Mom lit up and said to me something about my call to the effect of "what if it's here?" I said, I know it's not. (It was.) Emily brought in the mail and set it on the kitchen counter just before we were all about to sit down at the table. No one else saw it but me so I grabbed it. I looked up into dad’s eyes and ran up to my room in panic. When I got there I immediately fell to my knees at my bedside, sobbing. I’m not ready for this! My heart was pounding and my stomach was twisted. To ease my nerves, all I could really do was cry and pray, occasionally glancing over at the big white envelope, the envelope that would change everything. Well, it would change nothing, but really everything. I knew I had to open it, but I just couldn’t. I read a scripture that helped. I read my patriarchal blessing, reminding me who I am and what I’m doing and why I’m doing it. That helped even more. Breathe in, breathe out. Walk downstairs, eat dinner. My family was light hearted and anxiously waiting for me to descend. I told them I couldn’t open it yet and they exclaimed, “WHAT?!?! You’re so silly Kim.” I told them I just wasn’t ready. They understood. But their light heartedness calmed me, made me smile and think, all will be all right. Dad had to leave for work soon and the Spirit was coercing me to open it. My nerves still wouldn't let me actually open the envelope so mom did. Ben and Emily gathered behind her as they read it silently. Mom got weepy and Ben smiled. He said, “You’ll like it. I’m jealous.” I then proceeded to ask a series of questions, trying to deduce where it was. This was a good way for me, so that the suspense could settle a little. 
Is it in the States? No. Is it in Africa? No. Australia? No. Asia? No. (Apparently my family needs to brush up on their geography.) South America? No. North America? No. Then where??
Russia! Well that’s perfect. :) 
Then only peace reigned. A little bit of shock, but mostly peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment