Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22nd 2013

Russian tidbit: There are many people in Samara from Africa. In fact, today I met one from Madagascar. Generally they come here to study. The man we met from Madagascar today said his government sent him here. I'm not entirely sure what that means.
 
An update on the language... I can understand most ideas to the point where I can participate in a relatively advanced conversation with the help of a lot of pretending and guessing. The grammar has started to become more natural and I've become more correct in cases and such. Sister Moffatt and I speak Russian most of the time now and it's come to the point where I actually prefer to speak it. The other day an investigator asked me to pray in English and I could barely do it. By middle of the prayer I was back in Russian. :) It's kind of funny and I'm really grateful for the progress I'm making because the more fluent I become the more I can relate to people and help them. It can get frustrating when I can't understand something that seems to be important or that would give me greater insight to the person's situation but that will just have to come with time. I've really been trying to focus on the culture lately and learning more about how I can better relate to their way of life and way of thinking.
 
I came to a realization a few days ago that has changed my mission. I was reflecting on why I'm here. Why don't I leave? What is keeping me here? Originally, during the first fews weeks it was out of selfishness. Going home would take way too long and be way too much of a hassle. Plus, I knew I would never forgive myself if I didn't finish what I promised the Lord I would do. But what about now? We were walking down the road at dusk with a large dome on our right and a gated field on our left with children in it playing soccer with their fathers on the sidelines. I looked around at the thoroughly Russian scene before me and realized. I love Russia much too much. The thought of leaving it someday made a lump in my throat and my bones freeze for a moment. Then a warmth came from my heart and filled me as that beautiful realization set in. That finally, I'm not here for me, but for them. That finally, love is my only motivation.
 
This week has been crazy with lots of ups and downs. Especially last night! Oh, last night! I have never loved Sister Moffatt so much and I have never prayed so hard! But I don't have any time so talk to you later!
Love you!!
Sister Johnson

1 comment:

  1. I told my parents that you were in Russia on your mission and there were so happy to hear that! When you come back to Walla Walla, you'll have to share your experience with them and speak in Russian, maybe even teach them some of the gospel! I'm glad you're loving it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete