Wednesday, July 3, 2013

June 24th 2013

First a few random points I jotted down:
How many people are in Walla Walla? and in Washington? People ask and generally know population sizes around here and I'm tired of telling them I don't know. 
Russians don't have answering machines. period. at all. I've never been asked to leave a message at the beep.
They are very open about money. It's not considered rude for a complete stranger to ask you how much you get paid or how much you pay for your apartment. 
I've been told there's a movie that's come out in America called "The Saratov Approach" which is about the missionaries who got kidnapped like 10 or so years back in Saratov here in our mission. It actually happened in Ingles, the same area that the two missionaries got kicked out of for accidentally walking onto a military base a couple months ago. Anyway, you might want to check that movie out...or maybe not mom if she would get scared.... just to be clear, I am perfectly safe here. :)

So guess what? Tolia is getting baptized!! :) Okay, you don't know who that is so let me explain. He's not our investigator but he's basically my best Russian friend. I met him like my third week in. He's this 24 year old gentle giant. Well, he's normal sized, but he's like a little kid, so sweet and innocent, and he talks nice and slow. When he was born the doctor did something to his head and he has like a hand print there. Apparently this made is so that he can't talk very well... which is alright by me! This is probably why we are such good friends, for a while he was the only one I could understand! :) and he's patient with me when I take forever to respond or don't know a word. His greatest desire is to have a huge, happy family. When I showed him my pictures he stopped at the one of Michael and Emma's wedding, pointed and grandpa and said "someday I'm going to be him and these will be all my kids." I thought that was pretty sweet, and quite out of the ordinary for a 24 year old Russian man. He'll be a great dad too.. the other day we were waiting for the bus with a member and her daughter. The daughter started crying and fussing because she wanted something. Tolia just looks at her then I see a light bulb go off in his brain. He then goes and buys a big bottle of water, almost a big as the little girl and hands it to her. He's also bought me and my companion flowers a couple times and gave me a Stephanie Myers book when I left Bezi. That will be nice to keep my Russian after the mission! After family his second love is the garden at his dochi/nature in general. One time he made sister Clyde and I walk for ten minutes out of the branch building to show us a tree. There many other occasions like that like showing me caterpillars and flowers and pictures of the mountains and the river. I'm glad he's finally getting baptized. They were starting to get worried that he would be an eternal investigator because he had heard all the lessons and was always hanging out with the missionaries. He loves the missionaries. And they wanted to make sure he was getting baptized for the right reasons. I think he's good though. He and I have had a lot of good talks, all centered around why baptism is important and how it will bless his life. Pray for him and that everything will follow through for this Saturday when he's planning to be baptized!
There was supposed to be two baptisms this Saturday, Tolia and one of the assistant's investigators but she just randomly called them and said that she couldn't withstand temptation and she couldn't meet with them anymore. The Elders explained to her that things get really hard right before the baptism and that it would get better as she received the Holy Ghost but I'm not sure if she will be coming back. Hopefully she does! Satan has been having a hay-day with our mission. Baptisms in the past months have really slowed down. I think it's worrying president because we had a big mission-wide fast last week. We all fasted for 24 hours (probably my first full 24) and President had us all on the phone line and broke the fast for us with a prayer. It was really cool and we hope to see the blessings follow. 
This week has also been kind of a tough week for me and Sister Moffatt. We both haven't been feeling well. I have a head ache and stomach bug but it's not bad enough to stay in so we are both exhausted. Saturday was Sister Moffatt's birthday though so that was fun! Sort of... haha I made crepes in the morning and we had McDonald's for lunch as a special treat and she opened up a package from her parents and one from the YW in her ward with tons of candy in it. By the way. I tried an American snickers again from that package... it. was. gross. SOO gross. In Russia they have what is called Super Snickers and at first when I got here I was like hey, it tastes like a snickers... but in comparison, it's like night and day. At some point I will send you some super snickers and you will know for yourself. Anyway, that day was just a little crazy because Sis. Moffatt lost here bank card and we had to get money to pay rent. eekk but everything worked out. We had a lesson that night with our investigator Dima. He's interested in the Book of Mormon but I think he's more interested in Sis. Moffatt to be honest. He brought her a cake, juice and a gift for her birthday haha then a lonnnngggg goodbye handshake. He's a good guy, just likes to talk a lot and doesn't want to hear the lessons, just ask a bunch of questions that don't matter like how old Adam was and stuff. 
We had a little miracle yesterday. We got sooo lost trying to get to a member's house. We accidentally took the tram all the way to Bezi and we didn't have money to get back! At this point, Sis. Moffatt had basically lost it and is crying so we go sit on a stair well and think things over. It would take about 2 hours to walk back through the elders area. Not obedient and not effective but it would save poor Sis. Moffatt's pride so we set out. We get like 5 minutes past the tram stop when a drunk man starts getting a little weird and a little to close. I reach in one of the side pockets of my purse for my pepper spray (I never usually think to go for that) but instead I find in my pocket 1100 rubles!! More than enough money to get back home! :) 
I'm out of time. Thanks family for telling me all about the family reunion!! and thanks Chantal for the pictures! :) Love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment