Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23, 2013


Hey! Christmas is coming! It's Christmas eve eve, that is, on this side of the globe. You are all still enjoying the last few minutes of your sabbath. Thanks to my companions two Christmas packages full of dollar-store decorations and festivities and a few hours of glueing on sparkles after planning, our apartment is fully festive and ready for the holidays!! We may even pick up a little yolka (Christmas tree/pine tree) from one of the many dealers on the streets of Balakova. Yesterday as I ate boiled water for tea I watched a young couple pull their tree along on a wooden sled with metal runners in the snow with their little son trailing along. It was the quaintest, classic winter scene. 
We're still on for 9:30ish on your Christmas eve. :) I will be at Sveta's house using the same computer she uses to skype her muslim man friend in Franch ;) she's so funny, you'll love her.
As a little Christmas present I have been informed that Tamara Golybev is still on date for baptism this coming saturday!!! Too bad I won't be in Dachney to see it but I'll convince Elder Wall to get me some pictures. 
There's really not a whole lot other than that to report on this week... OH! we got our General Conference Liahonas!!!!!!!!!!! You know I may sound silly but it's kinda a big deal! that thing is priceless. Imagine not hearing the gospel in your native tongue for a year. It's not the same. It is the same, but it's not. We have lots of scripture study in our own language, but I really miss that weekly nourishment at church. So General Conference is just that more precious. At least that's my theory. & I laughed to myself as I read the opening talk by President Monson when he rejoiced in how  because of technology "we don't have to wait months for the mail" to receive Conference! Wrong! Okay, maybe I'm being a whiner. It in all reality, really came at the right time for me. All of the talks have just been so intimately applicable to me and to Balakova. It's strengthened my relationship with Heavenly Father to remember how aware of me He is. & it also strengthened my testimony of modern prophets. How amazing is it that they receive revelation for me in my remote and personal circumstance! and for us all!
Yep, that's all I got today. Sorry. 
Oh, and we have a mini missionary in Balakova now. Elder Myers went home to get surgery and so they pulled in a young man from Saratov to serve until he returns. He literally got the call, dropped everything and left that same day. What a jaw-dropping example. Members in Russia know how to sacrifice. He also is a new member of less than a year and is the ward mission leader in their branch of 60 in Saratov with 6 missionaries. I'm not sure what that branch is going to do without him. & he's going to miss the holidays.
I'll SEE YOU in 2 days!!!!!!

love & holiday greetings!!! 
Sister Johnson

ps.  I have realized that I feel very deeply, especially feelings of love and loyalty and a bit of nervousness with that deep attachment with the fear that it's not reciprocated. That is exactly where I am with Russians, and specifically with Balakova. I love them so much. Not like a fluffy, happy kind of love but a love that's rooted so deeply within that it drives you, almost becomes obsessive, and fiercely loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment