Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Decmeber 10th 2013

God loves me. He gave me the best mission birthday ever. :) 
It started out fraught with frustration in a hot kitchen while I half burned and spilled the lemon bars mom sent me in my christmas package all over the oven. (They worked out in the end &were super delicious by the way... well the middle non-burned part:) ) Then we had weekly planning set to the background of a constant fall of light snow with random spurts of huge heavy flakes displayed outside our window. (First snow!!! that sticked!) Then we had a chocolate cake we grabbed from the store nearby with a candle that sings a super high pitched, annoyingly funny rendition of "happy birthday" and my dear Sister Sveta called with a long stream of birthday wishes (Russians can go on for minutes of wishing health, happiness, love, fulfilled dreams, riches, great posterity.. etc, etc, etc.) It was amazing. Sveta is such an amazing woman. She's so sick.. some sort of condition with her stomach which makes her unable to eat very much and she has to take lots of medication, but she still comes out with us, loves us, and remembered my birthday. :) That evening we were to work with Sister Kazak. Her feet are hurt somehow so it hurts to walk, but she was determined to "take her turn with the missionaries." I love her example, the faith and zeal but I felt pressured to have a meeting set up for the evening so that she wouldn't have to walk in the cold for three hours. Thing is we didn't have anyone to meet with. So she's calling us, and our branch mission leader is calling us asking us what kind of plans we have and we've got nothing, having tried our hardest. Then she calls us back a bit later and she says, "I've got someone who will let us come over, my sister-in-law. But she said we can only stay for a bit." I'll make the story shorter and just say that it was the most glorious, Spirit-guided, love filled Restoration lesson I have had the opportunity to teach on my mission. It was wonderful. Such a sacred time. And although there are a few things I can think of that we could have done better, it was pretty much by the book and by the Spirit. Just perfect, and I know that it was all because of the faith of Brother and Sister Kazak who have tirelessly tried to share the gospel with her and invited her to come to church and read the Book of Mormon. We were just privileged to be there when she finally open her doors to the missionaries for the first time. And she liked us. :) Sister Kazak said many times and was very excited that Natalia (her sister-in-law) liked us. haha :) And Natalia accepted our invitation to be baptized when she knows it is true, which means she's open! and invited us back over to teach her the Plan of Salvation. My no new investigator streak of 4 months finally ended in the best way.
There are many other things to say.... Ah! The weather is great, we have lots of snow but it's not too cold. :) bad timing for the card though because I planned on buying new boots today and have run out of personal money.... umm I'll figure something out. :) My comp and I are so excited for Christmas!!! Sister Scott had a little shrinky dink christmas tree that we made little ornaments for. it was so fun! :)
Love you & talk to you soon! 
Also, transfer calls came and I'll be in Balakova for 2 more months. A|& I will skype

No comments:

Post a Comment