Monday, December 2, 2013

November 25th 2013

Just imagine me-- I've got my boots, hat, puffy coat and big, puffy fur collar, tramping through the dimly lit streets of Balakova with my trainee on my right (who has little to no idea what's going on) and a member on my left running Russian at me with barely room to breath. I'm processing 50-75% of what's being said and managing to reply in a coherent, satisfying way, while making sure my companions up to speed and that we're stopping and talking to everyone on the street and are relating to and connecting with those we drop by.  Juggling this and all the other little responsibilities and things to remember filling my mind have basically been the content of my week. It's been so crazy just trying to keep up with it all but it's also been a very fulfilling week brimming with sweet moments.
I think the greatest blessing God has ever given me is the people in my life.
That's a lesson I've continued to learn time and time again, that no matter where I am and what I'm doing, I will find the greatest beauty and richness in being a part of the lives of and in looking into the hearts of my fellow eternal travelers, my brothers and sisters. This is what working with the members has done for me personally on my mission. Within the past week and a half I have learned more about the members and this branch than I have any other. That has been a great blessing. Not only will I treasure these relationships forever, but it will help me to know how to better help the branch grow. At least thats the theory.
I'm always brought back to the family though. You are the most important. & you are definitely the biggest and most significant of all blessings. Yesterday, with our new member катя in Sunday school женя (branch mission leader) taught a great lesson about prayer. He got to family prayer and asked me to share my experience with family prayer. They watched and listened intently as I described us all kneeling together after studying the scriptures and then hugging each other before we went off to bed --a scene so familiar to me but so foreign to them. I began my account lightly, as it was something I considered common but as I looked into their eyes, I realized that this was in fact nothing common at all. When I finished there was a hushed reverence and the air was thick with the Spirit. женя asks, "how many are there in your family?"   "Eight." More silence. Do you realize how many families there are like us? If there are any in Russia, you could probably count them on your hand.
I'm sorry I can't write more today. I wish Emily and Teresa a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! and I hope thanksgiving is great. I will be spending it with my Russian family--the Balakova branch, which truly has become close to me.
with uncontainable & absolute adoration and love,
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment