Monday, December 2, 2013

October 21st 2013

To answer mom's questions about Balakova... it's smaller than Walla Walla but the population is probably about the same. There's one branch of about 15 active members (there are about 100 members total). The branch president has only been a member for about 3-4 years and he and Katya are about the same age I think. They're awesome and I love the branch here even though it's pretty darn small.
It's been kind of a slow week. We have our one Nelya, other than that we're out finding. Saturday evening after a long day of searching on the streets with little success we talked with a middle-aged woman pushing her baby in a stroller. She was very kind and respectful, expressing her belief that organized religion is not necessary. I explained our church and sunday service to her and tried to express how the church organization is simply there to facilitate our communtion with God and stregthen our relationship with Him. This was hard for me to illustrate in my limited language skills. We laughed a bit at my struggling then she thanked us for the nice conversation and told us, poignantly, to "keep on studying Russian." This experience, in conjunction with many others like it, haunted me for the rest of the night, my heart weighing heavy at the thought that there was placed in my path someone willing to listen, and I was not fully capable of imparting to her "that portion that shall be meted unto every man." Then sunday morning I read this quote in the Liahona from President Kim B. Clark, "When we act in faith in Jesus to do His work, He goes with us to serve others and blesses us to say just what they need to hear... What we actually say and actually do may feel a little awkward or not very polished... But the Savior takes our words and our actions and He carries them through His Spirit unto the hearts of the people. He takes our sincere but imperfect effort and turns it into something that is just right, indeed, into something perfect." 
Into something perfect? Wow. This brouht me such great comfort that my service and sacrifice will be perfected through Him as I keep acting in faith. No matter how weak my best is, it will count and it will make a difference. We truly are doing the Lord's work, His ministry on the earth, and just as He is perfect, so is His ministry. As I act in His name by keeping His commandments and following His Spirit, He will sanctify my efforts for the benefit of His children. 
It's funny how I was there BYU-Idaho when President Clark gave this devotional, but his address means so much more to me now and has increased my understanding of what it really means to rely on the Savior and changed my view of my service.
Keep praying for me... we need your prayers in the Russia Samara Mission!! Pray for faith to perform miracles, safety and understanding and speaking the language.
Be happy! & good luck with everything you do :) I'll be prayin for ya'll too. 
Love you muchly!
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment