Monday, December 2, 2013

October 14th 2013

Happy monday everyone! This week marks one year since I received my mission call. :) My year ago self had no idea what she was getting into.
I'll always remember when Squire was driving me down to Utah and he asked me if I was excited. He could probably tell you better what I said but I think it was something like yeah, I suppose so, I mean, it should just be like anything else I've ever done... And he just laughed, knowingly.  I had no idea what a mission included, or what it meant to be a missionary, honestly, I didn't even think about it. I just knew I had to go on a mission, so I did. Therefore, in a way, I was right. All a mission is is being obedient and working hard. It's being willing to go and do as directed by the Lord. And that's all I've really ever tried to do. But I was still dead wrong in that I didn't anticipate anything I've experienced. 
Well that's my thoughts on that. This week was really cool. We had zone training in Saratov. The President and assisstants did a special zone training as a follow up/boost from conference with President Bennett (which I think I forgot to mention is our area seventy). So we traveled by van again through the countryside passing through the towns Marks and Angles (I'm not even making that up) through fields of endless sunflower fields which were all dead sadly... but they were still beautiful! Our town, Balakova, is also near a giant nuclar plant and every monday or tuesday there is a loud alarm that goes off throughout the town. Thankfully, Sister Sigman warned me about that.
We were almost late for our bus since we had a meeting right before we were to leave on thursday with a woman we are teaching named Nelya. Sister Sigman and her previous comp here found her while dropping by potentials. Missionaries had given her husband the "Finding Faith in Christ" video a couple years ago. She had watched and said she cried. She's investigated several different christian churches and she's very spiritually in tune. This meeting on thursday we didn't get much of a lesson though because of her husband. When we came in the apartment building he was at the bottom of the stairs, heaving up a HUGE bag of potatoes up to their apartment. Sister and I grabbed the other one and despite his shouts of "no need! no need!" we hauled up the stairs. Turns out service really does soften hearts. Usually when we visit Nelya he's just around but hadn't expressed any interest but now he loves us! He kept offering us melons, tea, coffee, ice-cream and asking us questions about the Book of Mormon and why we need to pick a church if they all are christian. He's got some good concerns and he said he watched the Restoration film and liked it better than the Finding Faith in Christ. haha So we didn't really get a lesson in with her but we got him to open up so that was good. 
Another cool experience this week was attending my branch president's wedding!! :) He got married to Katya, a recent convert that Sister Sigman and Sister Kiestler (my previous companion) taught. It was held on saturday at a government building about 5 minutes from our home. Sister and I ran over there cause we were running late, but we got there just in time to dry off before they drove up in their fully decked out russian wedding style car. She wore this Barbie doll pink poofy dress and he was in a shiny silver tux. We all lined up behind giant white doors with them at the front and the small wedding party behind them. Apparently the branch president is in a band so all their friends are these euro punk rockers from the 90's. It was so funny to see them next to the elders who are glowing and lookin all sharp with their suits and hankies. Then the doors swing open to a blaring rendition of the classic wedding march "BUUUM dum, da dum dum dum da dum dum da da dum!" played by an old women in a big sweater & jeans on the violin and a middle aged man on a electric piano. We walk slowly into a large marble room with a glass ceiling, Russian crest and a velvet covered desk in the middle with a piece of paper and two pens. The official said some words, they were married and signed the papers to Elivis's "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" or however that song is called. Then we took some pictures and that was it. Quite the experience... it was like a dream, so cool... but let's just say I'm glad they're getting married in the temple. :)
Well don't have any time left. I love you all so much!! and okay, sometimes I do miss you. I admit it. ;)
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment